From: Chris Barber <cbarber@texasattorney.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Velocity Status?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 03:41:41 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill,

Thanks for thinking of me but you may regret asking :-).  I have hesitated posting as I have realized that when I do a search, the majority of the questions have been from me and I do not like feeling quite so stupid.

That being said, I am still having issues.  After loosing my engine over an airport a few....hell, several mo nths ago, I am still trying to get things straightened out.  What originally brought me down was a simple clogged fuel rail.  That was easily addressed.  While down I addressed a low oil pressure.  Got that SYMPTOM solved.  I replaced the pressure regulator and modified the front pressure spring to work with the higher PSI regulator (Mazdatrix was out of the stock).  During initial tuning following the oil pressure problem, I kept getting a miss at idle RPM.  I went back to basics including changing plugs, plug wires and having the injectors flow tested.  I also checked compression.  Hell, I was getting one solid and two weak pulses on the secondary rotor.  The apex seals were springy via the exhaust but the compression was off.  Damn, really?  The front rotor was reading fine and were also nice and springy.

So, over the last few weeks, I tore into the keg to access the rear rotor.  Glad I did.  While apart I found that I the front needle bearing had slipped off its very small lip (must have happened when pulling the front cover off to again address the pesky front cover o-ring)  It was done with the engine on the plane, thus was horizontal aiding in the bearing to slip off.  I was aware of the potential but though all stayed secure....I was wrong. It is much better to build this front stack on an engine stand in a vertical position.  The fore most needle bearing was toast.  It had gouged the flat bearing and washer.  So, they were replaced.  Also, the rear stationary bearing was trashed.  It was in terrible shape - really shredded.  So, it too got replaced along with the rear stationary gear. The front stationary gear and bearing were good.  While the rear rotor was out, I also replaced the rear rotor bearing.  Before putting it together I checked a couple of things that were mentioned here regarding my low oil pressure.  This includes verifying my oil pick up was not cracked and properly safety wired in, it was. Also, rechecking the pressure regulator.  I replaced it before while still on the plane as I did not have my hoist at my "remote hangar" at LVJ. e

Inside the rotar, I found two stuck side seals.  They broke coming out so they as well as their springs were replaced new (again, from Mazdatrix).  The apex seals seemed good, but I had three barely used seals (one hour use before I replaced all six following a brand new center iron water channel broke causing a rebuild).  I verified the apex seals were not bent.  I checked the springs which were a bit under tolerance (no idea why) so the "spare" springs I had were checked and they were well within tolerance  For this latest process of reinstalling the engine on the plane, I knuckled down and disassembled and transported my hoist from EFD to LVJ.  It is such a snap to remove my engine...I actually removed it manually this time, but I cant quite pick it up to put it back, thus the hoist.

I was able to put everything back on the engine following hoisting the engine back on the plane. Compression check showed three steady pulses. Set the stationary timing and carefully cranked it up sans prop as I was in the hangar late at night.   It started, blew out a lot of Vasaline and assemble lube......and after about a minute started spewing oil high into the air.  DOH, I didn't tighten the remote oil filter enough.  Spent most of yesterday cleaning oil of the engine and hangar floor.......but also, was able to install the prop and start the tuning process.  I am still getting a miss in the idle range, but as it was consistant befor, it seems intermediate now thus I am hopeful it is a tuning issue.  Tracey has my EM2 and my primary PCM for repair.  Hopefully he can address the issues sooner rather than later; he has had them for a while...but heck, the man is retired.  I do have a remote O2 gauge that helps, but I would surely love to have the EM2 to help.   Also, as Murphy would have it, my Dynon Skyview map sensor is not working.  I have yet to address it, it just may need to be on a different wire but setting Mode 3 is somewhat a crap shoot with manifold pressure.  I am developing power up to over 6000 rpm static, but still some bobble near idle.  It seems smoother when I turn off the primary injectors, thus it seems to be mixture.  It got late and I had a long day and cleaning oil off the floor can make a 40 year olds body ache....its even worse when you are 52.

My girlfriend has me tonight, but I hope to get out again soon and hopefully will get it better.  Paying for two hangars it bugging the crap out of me.  Hell, I have spent enough to have a pro rebuild the engine.

Even though I may still have botched up the build, It is becoming such a non issue, but a methodical process.  I almost have the torque settings memorized.....not sure I like being this familiar.

We will see.

Chris Barber
Velocity 17010
2nd gen 13b