From: Jeff Whaley <jwhaley@datacast.com>
Subject: Re: Renesis CAS & EC-2 upgrade? ... Which CAS wire needs the 1K resistor?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:59:08 +0000
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Thanks Steve, that does clarify the situation … so, you are terminating each output with 1k to CAS common.

I do have the older gear-driven CAS with mating EC2 and never had an engine misfire event at WOT or cruise. Did experience some rough running at idle and some cold-start issues – always have to preheat my engine in the winter to get it started.  I was wondering if this new revelation would help with either but alas apparently not.

Jeff

(Still rebuilding: wings done, re-drive looks good, engine has bearing damage plus rear end and center housing damage)

"Steven W. Boese" <SBoese@uwyo.edu>

RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Renesis CAS & EC-2 upgrade? ... Which CAS wire needs the 1K resistor?

Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:04:19 +0000

Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Message Header

Undecoded Message

Jeff,

If you are using the gear driven distributor style CAS with a controller set up for that, you should not need to add the resistors.  I am using two Renesis CAS with a 12 and a single trigger tooth wheel on the eccentric shaft of a Renesis engine with an EC2 set up for the gear driven CAS.  To use this combination, a 1K resistor has been added at the CAS end of the harness between the two connections to each CAS.  My reference to adding a resistor from the CAS to ground may be incorrect.  The resistors are added between each CAS output and the CAS return.  I have not verified whether CAS return is in fact ground.  In effect, a resistor is connected from pin 4 to pin 22 and another resistor is connected from pin 23 to pin 22.  The green wire of my gear driven CAS is not ground .

Steve