From: Ernest Christley <echristley@att.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Ceramic coated rotors
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:35:54 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Saro Marcarian wrote:

> My brief exposures to these things tells me that they are very sensitive to how they are applied.  If there's a combustion face which sees no mechanical contact wearing down in only test runs I'd be curious about how the coating was applied.

They were applied in a home shop, on used rotors.  Not the best circumstances, but not very expensive either.

I'm not sure that the coating is worn or missing.  It could just be combustion by-products being left behind.  I'll see
if I can do a "rub test" with a wooden dowel to better ascertain the health of the coating when I get back to the airport.
Image
EngineCeramicCoatingBaking.jpg