From: Saro Marcarian <sarodude@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Ceramic coated rotors
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
From: Chris Barber <cbarber@texasattorney.net>

>but what is the point of the ceramic on the rotors?

Chris-

The ceramic coating is to act as a thermal barrier.  The more energy that stays away from your engine parts goes into heating up the combustion gasses - and also help by lowering oil, water, head temps (as applicable to your application).  On the rotary, I'd imagine the bene of a coated rotor would be lower oil temps although I doubt you'd be able to directly measure an increase in power or even exhaust gas temp.

My brief exposures to these things tells me that they are very sensitive to how they are applied.  If there's a combustion face which sees no mechanical contact wearing down in only test runs I'd be curious about how the coating was applied.

-Saro