From: Ernest Christley <echristley@att.net>
Subject: Ceramic coated rotors
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:55:31 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

http://youtu.be/LioulnAYXlM

I'm having to break the engine down to fix an oil leak between the bottom of the engine and the mounting plate.  I took
the opportunity to check on the ceramic coating I applied to the rotors before assembly.  There was some questions a
while back about how resilient the coating would be on the rotors.  I've had this engine up to 5600 RPM, running mostly
rich, down to 11:1, at high power, but as high as 19:1 on the lower end.

If you make the youtube video I posted the link to fullscreen, you can see that the coating is still intact for the most
part.  The  exception being a vertical band down the centerline of the rotor, starting in the compression recess and
extending out.  This looks like it may have burn/blown off the coating in the areas of high temp/velocity gasses...but
I'm just guessing.  If you advance the video VERY slowly, there are a couple frames just before the rotor comes into
view where you can see the sides of the recess, and the coating is still there.  Here is a pic of the rotors before they
went into the engine.

Image
EngineCeramicCoatingRotorThermalBarrier2.jpg