From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Woodruff key check [FlyRotary] Re: Oil pressure again
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:40:19 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Agree with Mark - check woodruff key

Here was my experience with it

Ed

Chris, having had some experience with that problem (the only problems I haven't had experience  with is turbo related {:>).

A couple of things - one of course, is the possibility of the "O" ring slipping out of place, bad oil pump, oil regulator, etc.

However, one thing that nearly bit me is I flew for 10 hours without the woodruff key in the oil pump shaft.  The nut torque was holding it in place until I had a start (with throttle Wide open on a cool morning with 50 W oil) which broke the nut torque loose - when taxing out for take off at Tracy's but could get oil pressure above 25 psi - so aborted the planned take off.  Finally took the oil pan off only to hear some "clinking" in the pan.  As soon as I picked it up the metal object , I knew what the problem was.

Apparently  while I had inserted the key, when I pushed the gear sprocket on the shaft I push the key out fall enough to catch it between the sprocket and aluminum pump housing when I torqued the nut (the impression of the key was in the pump housing).  So if didn't fall into the pan or out on the bench where I might have noticed it.  However, once the engine fire up for the first time it threw the key into the pan.

Fortunately leaving the throttle Wide Open and forgetting to close it before engine start caused the engine to zoom to 5500 rpm and the 50 weight oil apparent cause the nut to lose its grip and although I didn't really believe I had an oil problem (thought it was probably the sensor) , I just couldn't talk myself into taking off - fortunately.

Ed

Edward L. Anderson
Anderson Electronic Enterprises LLC
305 Reefton Road
Weddington, NC 28104
http://www.andersonee.com
http://www.eicommander.com

So just add woodruff key to your checklist if its not already there.

Ed