From: Dale Rogers <rogersda@cox.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: nonEFI fuel systems
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:57:11 -0500
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi All,

   I want to thank Jim Mosur <jmosur@interlog.com> for refreshing in my mind what I am trying to accomplish.  I
just came a gnat's eyelash from purchasing a complete 1985
RX7 (not running) for about $400 USD.  What put me off was
that the owner said it had a 12a engine.

   It looks like I could still buy it, as it was still in
yesterday's paper.  But why?  Well, for one, it's an
automatic - a real rarity in Arizona - so it already has the correct flywheel and counterweight.  I also get an oil
cooler, something the salvage yards want extra $$$ for.
But, it has a carburator and distributor, each of which
means fewer ponies.

   I have a multiple-part question:

(A) Since my intention is to use Tracy's EC, I'd expect to
have to build a custom intake anyway; but can I use the
distributor as a crank angle sensor, much the way that
Chrysler point distributors could be upgraded to hall-effect
sensors for it's electronic ignition?

(B) Leon, in an exposition about a year and a half back,
rated the 12A at 125 HP; is that before or after mods such
as removal of mufflers and smog equipment, and/or porting?
All the tables I've seen rate the 12A at only 101 HP.
Moving from 125 to 160 HP (the minimum for a COZY) seems
fairly doable; from 101 does not - at least within my
budget.

(C) I understand I can use the center and end housings with
13B rotor/housings and end up with a four-port 13B, but
would I also have to come up with a 13B eccentric shaft?  If
so, does that mean that my flywheel and counterweight are
now useless?

   In case y'all haven't already figured it out, I'm
building my COZY on a shoestring.  I can ill afford to make
any major mistakes; so I am desparate to sort as much out
before I tie up my meager funds.  It would appear that my
best choice for the money is a 86-87 FI engine from from an
automatic RX7.  Finding that combination has been ... an
*interesting* excercise, so I'm trying to sort out reasonable
alternatives.

Thanks,
Dale R.
COZY #1254