From: Tracy Crook <lors01@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] FD rads & Evap Cores Take 2
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:16:56 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Once again, nothing is ever simple.

OK, here's my take on it.  The evap. cores work well in a fast plane because they can make efficient use of the 200 mph air entering the inlets.  This is a long and gory subject but to condense it to a one sentence rule, I wouldn't use them on a slower plane or a car running under 140 mph.   You would not get sufficient pressure recovery in a car to make them work well.

The water spray in the race configuration (on my plane) was mainly for the oil cooler and that was mainly due to the poor inlet & ducting to it.  As it turned out, the race was on a cool day (62 deg F) and I didn't need the water spray.  I ran it during the last leg to see the effect.  It dropped the oil temps about 15 degrees.

Tracy