From: sqpilot@earthlink <sqpilot@earthlink.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: nonEFI fuel systems
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:13:31 -0500
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
[FlyRotary] Re: nonEFI fuel systems

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Welter
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 5:55 AM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: nonEFI fuel systems

Hi, Ken....I also have been looking at the Weber carb.  Without going into full details, how difficult is it to add a mixture control to the 48 Weber?   Thanks in advance for your reply.  Paul Conner

   There are two way to do it, one is with an air bleed system that bleeds air form the intake to the float bole, this is what they use on some snowmobiles and I have not tried this yet on a Weber.

 The system that I use is an air ram that changes the pressure differential between the float bole and the Venturi.

 The ram tubes in this photo are positioned about 1.5 inches from the velocity stacks, when the ram is closed the air is drawn only from the air cleaner which is where the float bole vent is, when you open the air ram it increases the air pressure on the Venturi's and the float bole vent pressure that is in the air cleaner remains the same so it draws less fuel.

If I start opening the ram at cruise power setting setting the tac will start climbing until it reaches perfect fuel mixture and then it will start to drop as it goes in the lean side and for economy cruise I drop the rpm about 100 rpm on the lean side, depending on altitude at say less than 5000 ft if I open the ram wide open if will kill the engine but at over 12,000 ft it can take all the air without killing it, at 16,000 ft the ram will raise the tac 1000 rpm which is enough difference between holding alt and coming down and I would have never made it up there without the ram.

 One other thing about the Weber is that its very  high tec compared to crude aircraft or American carb's in that it is very adjustable and it is very sensitive to pressure changes, if the air is thinner there is less draw one the main jets so there will be less fuel drawn in.

 This can be adjusted for the particular engine and application by changing the air correction jets and the emulsion tubes in relation to the main jets, you can go to a smaller main gas jet and a smaller main air and the mixture on the top end will remain the same but it will lean the bottom end and mid range, the emulsion tubes mostly effect the mid range.

  By jetting down to a smaller air correction jet and smaller main gas jet makes it more sensitive air density and to be honest I don't think the combination the I am currently running is the best as I only have 100 hrs flying on the 48mm where I had 1000 hrs on the 51mm so I had it dialed in much better
  Ken

Hi, Ken....thank you very much for taking the time to both explain your system as well as provide the photo....It's true...a picture IS worth a thousand words! Paul Conner