From: <kenpowell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re:Rad Cooling Capacity
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:52:41 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
As usual, Ed does a good job of explaining this.  Ed, this was exactly why I was interested in how much the wedge shaped duct would slow the air down.  If I can't get the air slowed down, I need to find another way to mount my oil cooler and radiator.  It would seem that whatever our ducting scheme we need to slow the air down and then limit the amount of airflow thru the radiators to match the cooling requirement in our quest for the lowest cooling drag - most of us would probably chose to use cowl flaps to limit the airflow thru the radiator.  Lastly, a 'too large' radiator intake doesn't appear to cause alot of drag since external diffusion will be taking place on the front of the aircraft anyway.  Of course, this last point only seems to apply to tractor aircraft.  Many thanks to Bill Freeman for educating us on external diffusion.

Ken Powell