From: Russell Duffy <13brv3@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] FD Rad Cooling Capacity was Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Engine.
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:09:43 -0600
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message

They also seem to work OK at idle and heavy traffic, even on our
hottest Sydney daze.

Now Leon, what does idle have to do with cooling :-)  Since the advent of electric fans (two of them, with multi-speeds in the FD), cooling at idle is the easiest mode of operation.

Only downside is that the plastic header
tanks are known to split,  which can be interesting!  So can you
please enlighten us??

You're right about the header tanks, which is one reason all the FD folks around here get rid of the radiators.  The other reason is that they barely cool in the summer.  Mine was hardly able to keep cool in normal driving, much less race course conditions, so I installed it in the attic, and put a Fluidyne in the car.  Much better.

I have to admit that my size comment was just a quick thought, based on volume area of the cores.

Stock FD rad- 12.25" x 25" x 1"  = 306 sq in
Common evap core- 10.5" x 9" x 3.625"  = 343 sq in

As even Wally must admit, the stock FD radiator is smaller in core volume than one, single, solitary evap core.  Now, let's see a show of hands of all the people flying successfully with one evap core :-)   Again, all this is way oversimplified.  Frontal area is the largest factor in cooling efficiency, so I wouldn't doubt that it could be made to work, however, you would be have to endure Tracy's favorite saying-   (say it with me) "The goal is to design efficient aircraft, not efficient radiators" :-)

Cheers,
Rusty (let me know if your aircraft needs my old FD radiator <g>)