From: <kenpowell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Fwd: RD-1B failure
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:15:20 +0000 (UTC)
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Yamabond, Hondabond or Threebond 1194 (all the same product) would work great for this application.  It is used to seal gasketless motorcycles cases as well as any metal to metal surface where the temps are relatively low.  From the Threebond Website:

ThreeBond 1194 is a semidrying liquid gasket whose major component is special synthetic rubber. After it is applied and dried, it will form a rubber-like elastic body. Since it excels in padding property, it shows a high sealing effect on bonded surfaces that have poor flatness and large clearance. In addition, it has excellent resistance to water, oil and gasoline.

Features

· High padding property
It shows an excellent sealing effect not only on normal bonded surfaces, but also on bonded surfaces with large clearance.
· Excellent resistance to vibration and impact
After applied and dried, it will form a rubber-like elastic body and exhibit excellent resistance to vibration and impact.
· Excellent resistance to high and low temperatures
It keeps stable rubber elasticity in a wide temperature range from -40°C to 150°C.
· Excellent resistance to water and oil
· Effective in preventing leak from threaded portions

Uses

· Sealing of flange surfaces and threaded portions
· Applicable to sealing of flange surfaces having large clearance

Properties

Properties

Item Unit Property Test method Remarks
Appearance - Gray 3TS-201-02
Viscosity Pa·s 9.5 3TS-210-02 25°C/BH-type, No.5-20 rpm
Specific gravity - 1.25 3TS-213-02 25°C
Heating residue % 58.0 3TS-217-01
Tack-free time min 12 3TS-219-04
Solvent - Xylene -
* These data are not our quality assurance values, but representative values.

Physical properties after curing

Physical properties after curing
Item Unit Physical property after curing Test method
Tensile strength MPa 0.12 3TS-320-01
Elongation % 900 - 1000 3TS-320-01
Hardness A 25 3TS-215-01
Note) Curing conditions: At 25°C for 2 weeks

Ken Powell%0D%0ABryant%2C Arkansas%0D%0A501-847-4721%0D%0A

From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Date: Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:17 AM
Subject: RD-1B failure
To: Dave Leonard <wdleonard@gmail.com>

Hi; Dave,

I’m very thankful to hear that this occurred after landing.

I’ve been unable to post on the rotary engine list for months due to blocking by Cox.  Perhaps you’d post this message on my behalf:

---The shear pin on the sun gear is the most likely candidate since it was sized for a normally aspirated 13B.   After the failure on Marks 20B, I have changed the pin diameter

Tracy;

Doesn’t this suggest that all 20B and 13B turbo should be upgraded to the larger pin? When was the failure on Mark’s 20B?

Al
---