From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Steve Boese TDC Finder
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:54:31 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

First let me point out the big error in the procedure I wrote:

-The center of the combustion chamber is 60o on the rotor from the tip seal; or 120o (should read 180) on the E-shaft.

- Count the total number of teeth on the ring gear, and divide by 3 (should read 2). Now rotate the engine by that number of teeth (either direction) and rotor 1 will be very close to TDC.

I wouldn’t argue the precision of the method; but for the housings you show, the offset appears to be much less than 10 degrees. The e-shaft TDC offset would then be 1 ½ times that as you split the difference between the plugs and multiply by 3:1 ratio. And being a few degrees off on the rotary is not of much consequence.

Ultimately the timing at which we operate is determined by the timing curve built in to the engine controller.  I’m pretty sure Tracy has modified that some over the years.  And then there in-flight tuning of the timing at cruise condition that you may like to look at.

When I got my 20B with a 12A front housing from Atkins, the relationship of the pointer to the marks on the pulley made no sense. I used my simple method to determine a TDC mark, and worked from there.  On the dyno we put a pressure transducer into a trailing plug hole and adjusted timing a bit while operating (I don’t recall conditions – I think 22” MAP) to get the pressure trace to look right. We chose a point 2 steps retarded on the EC2, - 3.75o.

Subsequently I did some variation at cruise conditions to see effect on performance, and again ended up at two steps of retarding, although I found performance change almost undetectable over a 3-4 step range (~7o) to either side. So that setting is pretty consistent with Lynn’s data that the method leads to a TDC that was a bit BTDC; but is of no consequence.

That’s my story, and I’ sticking to itJ.

Al