From: <13brv3@mchsi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] rx7s and turbos and RV-3s
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:18:41 -0500
To: <flyrotary>

You might check around for another rx7 t2 turbo, if you change your mind
on engine configuration. I just got one complete for $285 from
The Parts Trader (which started out as the 'rx7 parts trader'). Put an
ad in the "wanted" section. The one I got was pristine.
And you could always make your own cowl!
[Marc Wiese]
---------------

I think I've decided to pursue having Bruce T go through my new engine to
raise the compression, and do some porting.  Of course this doesn't mean
that I won't ever add a turbo for normalization, but it does make it pretty
unlikely. I have to make my own cowl either way, so the bump is doable, but
I'm getting more worried about the weight.

The new mount is a bit heavier than the original, and turbo/manifold feels
like an anvil.  The RV-3 was actually meant to work with the O-290 engine
originally, and even the O-320 is heavy for the airframe, so I think I would
be over any reasonable CG limit with the addition of a turbo system.  The
best thing I can do now is to forge ahead with a full power NA engine, then
consider the turbo later in the build if weight allows.  My goal for this
plane is spectacular performance, and I know that I won't be happy with the
current 87 spec turbo engine, minus the turbo.

Cheers,