From: Chris Barber <cbarber@texasattorney.net>
Subject: Apex seal update
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 02:32:48 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Yesterday I purchased some product to soak the apex seals in my rear chamber.  I let it soak 24 hours but dousing the innards with the stuff (seafoam, a bit of MM oil and a bit of seafoam penatrant).

I came back today and poked a bit into the sparkplug hole before I manned up and pulled off the exhaust/turbo manifold to get a better look.

I have one apex seal in the rear housing that seems "normal".  It moves freely in the slot in a springy manner.  However, the other two do move in the slot but do NOT spring at all.  As a matter of fact, just the moisture from the product I put in is enough to keep the seals from coming back out of the slot freely when I gently probe them with a screwdriver.

I believe it was Lynn who mentioned he had never seen broken apex seal springs, but for the life of me I can not think of what else it could be (unless, as I read a little about online) the springs flattened out.

Anyway, please, please, please provide some insight as to what else I should check before I pull the rear iron plate and replace/check the springs.

Check out this Utube video I took tonight from my I-phone.  It shows the seal moving, but has no spring...it is only moving by gravity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFimqo7Fls

Thanks

Chris