From: Steven W. Boese <SBoese@uwyo.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: GM Coil Comparison
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:53:13 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Kelly,

I don’t know what could be different about the combustion process itself between a piston or rotary engine.

As you stated, the plugs see a larger number of thermal cycles in the rotary engine.  This is mentioned on my web page on SAG as a possible contributor to the spark plug change with age.  The fact that Tracy saw a reversal of the tendency for SAG to occur after an extended number of hours on his RX8 iridium plugs is at odds with what I thought might be happening, though.  Always more questions than answers.

Steve Boese