From: Tracy <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>
Sender: <rwstracy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: GM Coil Comparison
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:45:03 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Good question.  I've seen no indication that more is better as long as you have enough.  I did test that MSD brand LS-1 coil and it worked great but saw no evidence that it gave more power or longer plug life.  A friend of mine once compared it to starting a forest fire.  Doesn't matter whether you do it with a match or a blow torch - result is the same.  The spark from those Ducati ignition systems on Rotax 582's is a good example.  Unless you stick the plug gap into a dark hole you can't see it.  I'm sure things get more critical as you push the power limits of the engine.  We aren't doing that though.

BTW, the stock 2nd gen coils give as big & hot a spark as I've seen.  I'd still be using them if they weren't so darn heavy.

On plug life -   I have over 300 hours on RX-8 Iridium plugs running almost all mogas.  I made one long flight at around 200 hrs on 100LL and started getting SAG after about 2 flight hours.  Here's the confusing part,  after going back to mogas for an hour or so the plugs started working fine again.  I have no idea what that means.

Tracy