From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: GM Coil Comparison
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:13:00 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

So I’m still waiting for an answer to the question I posed a few days back. Do we have any real evidence that the higher current spark is needed in our application; or is going to result in any better performance?

Perhaps it’s obvious to someone, but I’m wondering whether it comparable to watts/channel on a stereo. 50 per channel into good speakers is enough to drive you out of your home; but the salesperson will try to convince you that 1000 watts must be 10 times better.  The D580 certainly makes a very good spark, which ignites the mixture just fine.  Once the arc is made and the fuel molecules are burning, does 120 ma spark give you anything that a 60 ma spark doesn’t if the voltage is the same?  Presumably it is just a matter of spark duration.

Save me the need to do some researchJ

Al