From: Jeff Whaley <jwhaley@datacast.com>
Subject: Broken Tension Bolt
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 06:03:26 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Yesterday, while checking over my engine for the source of a nagging oil leak I found a broken tension bolt, I guess it’s good in respect to finding the problem but WTF?

During installation I applied a spiral of silicone around each bolt trying to prevent this from happening.  The broken bolt is positioned in the upper left hand corner (if viewed from prop end) and according to my Haynes Manual it is either #8 or #12 in the torque-sequence.

Checking Tracy’s website I read about his SQUAWK with same issue many years ago … he was able to get the bolt’s threaded portion out without having to tear-down the engine or resort to the drill and easy-out method.

What happens to those metal shavings inside there if I have to drill and use an easy-out?

Can I extract them all with a magnet or compressed air?

Am I looking at an engine tear-down … or replace the bolt (or bolts), re-torque the stack and carry on?

Jeff

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5758 (20110104) __________

http://www.eset.com

This message, and the documents attached hereto, is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.