From: Dave <david.staten@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Chris - Update needed
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:53:00 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Doug..
    heat soak is a well known problem with aircraft fuel systems, especially fuel injected factory opposed piston engines.

    When you shut the engine down, all cooling airflow stops. Heat remains. Everything under the cowl heat soaks before gradually cooling off. Fuel injection systems usually have fuel returns, so any excess pressure due to fuel vaporization in the rail is vented back to the fuel tank, so no dangerous overpressure results. The vaporization only occurs after shutdown, after cooling airflow ceases to a hot engine, as the fuel rail heat soaks due to conduction and radiation.

    The technique I described a few posts ago has worked like a charm for me in Bonanzas, Mooneys and Arrows (all fuel injected engines in those particular models of airframe).

Dave