From: Dave <david.staten@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Velocity N17010 IP
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 19:21:06 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hot start recommendation...

Something that has worked well for me in fuel injected aircraft...

run the fuel pumps for a minute (30 sec to a full 60 sec) before attempting any starting. Then give a quick prime and do a normal start attempt.

The hot start difficulties are a result of a heat soaked fuel rail causing vapor in the gasoline. Running the fuel pumps purges the rail of this hot gasoline and cools the rail. If I remember right, the Mistral intake we bought for the plane has a relief hole and return line at the end of the fuel rail to allow vapor to escape.

Dave