From: H & J Johnson <hjjohnson@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Off Subject
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:44:38 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

> H & J Johnson wrote:
> > *There have been several times where I wondered about this, but
> I always
> > wrote it off to not probably usable due to electro-magnetic
> interferance. *
> >
> > *They must have alot of sheilding to combat that part of the
> system. I
> > wonder if the compass deviates during the firing?*
> >

> Note to self:  Ignore compass when being flung from the deck of a
> large boat.
>
> Maybe there will be some civilian spinoffs to allow for heavier
> planes into short airfields.
>
> EMALS => Coming to a short field near you.

I'm pretty sure the compass bounces around, the larger concern would be whether the
deviation becomes perminant [damages the magnets in the compass] due to a large pulsing
magnetic field being applied under the a/c.

 Having EMALS in a civilian settings is only part of the equation. The would also need a similar
[opposite] system to get the plane down and stopped on that same runway  :)

J. Johnson