From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Fw: Water temps
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:13:26 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

For maximum cooling of the oil from an oil/water HX (heat exchanger) you’ll want to plumb the oil from engine out to the cooler; and plumb the cooler between the radiator and the engine return.  And I’m not quite sure about Tracy’s point because no matter which leg of the coolant system you pick up the heat from the oil cooler, you raise the temp of the coolant loop by the amount of additional heat; so the rejection temp of the rad is higher either way.  The assumption is, of course, that you have sufficient capacity to keep the coolant exiting the engine below boiling for extended high power.

On my Velocity 20B installation I have a primary radiator in the cowl, and a secondary in the wing root; plumbed in parallel. The wing root rad has an in-line 170F thermostat, and generally only comes on line during extended climb. No thermostat in the engine that would restrict flow and add a potential failure mode.

I have an oil/air cooler and an oil/coolant HX, also plumbed in parallel. The oil/coolant HX is plumbed to the exit of the primary rad.  The oil temp runs about 20F higher than the coolant (measured at oil return and coolant out). I could probably reduce that difference by restricting flow to the oil/air cooler forcing more through the oil/coolant HX; but I’m quite happy with the way things work.

Over 200 hours and lovin’ my rotary more all the time.

Al G