From: Dave <david.staten@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Rotary Engine Considerations
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:17:39 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Welcome to the list... this is the first post I can find from you..

I have no idea what sort of background research you have done to this point, but I am pretty sure there is not a suitable ready-made package with a turbo, intake, block that can be ordered.

The stock turbo's are completely unsuitable for our use, and will fail in short order. There are a couple turbo installs flying.. Dave Leonard's RV in San Diego, and John Slade's Cozy up in New England, but they both are custom installs. Chris Barber in Houston has a Turbo 13b on a velocity, and is approaching first flight. I was involved in his build for a few years, and we purchased an intake from Mistral when that was an option. Most car turbos are meant for off-the-line sprint style behavior, not the hours long endurance behavior of boosted flight operations

The stock intake on the 13B rides way too high for any canard I am aware of, so you will need a custom intake fabricated, as well as a custom exhaust. Both the Cozy and Velocity will require such.

If you are serious about the rotary, understand that the few sentences below tell me that you've not done much homework and may think this is a plug and play type installation. Its not. There will be significant fabrication work on your end to make this happen.

So lets talk about what sort of aircraft this is going into, what you plan to use for a PSRU, what you plan to use for an engine controller, what sort of prop you are planning to use, and what your plans are for mounting your radiator and oil coolers? How do you plan to mount the engine?

And to answer your question.. A street port on a new turbo block would be a good start. Eccentric shaft oil jet and thermal pellet mods are also recommended. Bruce Turrentine's video has info on the oil and pellet mods.

Dave

On 12/15/2010 2:46 PM, George Rippeto wrote:
I am at the point in my project were I would like to order my engine. This is a canard installation. I would like a turbo charged 13B. What information do I need to provide to the engine supplier? Is there some kind of checklist or something I can use to help me?

Thanks,

George