From: Tracy <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>
Sender: <rwstracy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Fw: Water temps
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:37:13 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Chrissi wrote:
"If the oil were being cooled with water only and we wanted the best possible chance at that, wouldn't we want to feed it the cooler water from the high pressure side of the pump prior to entering the block?"

Yes, that would give you the best chance at cooling the oil but it misses the opportunity to get the increased cooling efficiency of boosting the rad inlet temperature with the 230 degree oil coming out of the pump.  In other words, you will need a bigger rad if you use the cold side of the coolant for the oil cooling.   How much bigger is the answer I'd like to know, but I don't.

Tracy