From: George Lendich <lendich@aanet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] simple dyno
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:44:22 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Andrew,
I'm a bit confused with what you have provided, so just to clarify I will ask if this is what your saying in regard to the calculation:-

Power in HP = 0.0532 times ( diameter of prop divided by 450) by 5 times ( rpm divided by 1,000) multiplied by 3
OR is the 5 and 3 ( to the power of).

Secondly, the 'square cross section' statement - for the balanced bar, I assume you mean thickness, which would then mean for a 6' ( 72") bar it would be 4.8" thick - is that correct?

George ( down under) Brisbane.
Whilst researching propellers, I came across this gem of info from www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Gustave Eiffel (1832-1923) came up with a simple solution for measuring HP without complex apparatus, By using a balanced wood bar instead of a propeller with a square cross section of 1/15th of the length of the bar, you can measure the rpm and calculate the HP available.
Power in HP = 0.0532 (diameter/450)5 (RPM/1000)3

As I need a load on the engine when I run it I’m going to give this a go, 1350 x 90mm at 7000 rpm will give me 191hp, that’ll do if I can get it.
--
Regards

Andrew Martin
Renesis RD1c