From: Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: PP Housings
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:28:22 -0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill,

I didn’t mean to imply that Alan built the FWF stuff - I know that was all Powersport. The entire airplane was a work of art with a completely aluminum cowl with an annular inlet. They wouldn’t make a claim for FWF weight, but they did say the entire airplane was well under 700 pounds. A typical RV-3 is in the 730 pound range.

I met Alan and Everett at the Copperstate fly-in in the mid 90s and talked their ears off.

So what does this your effort mean for the current Powersport company? Are they dead and gone? Should we anticipate some sort of legal battle over IP issues?

At the time that I talked with Alan and Everett they still were not selling anything. The current owners of Powersport priced themselves out of business (at least my business). For all of its warts, at least when you pay 25K for a Lycosaur you know exactly what you are getting. A FWF package such as the most recent Powersport, Eggenfellner, etc... that costs as much as or more than the Lyc with relatively no track record is a dead end in my book.

If you guys can come out with the pieces-parts to duplicate that original engine or a complete engine, without a price tag that breaks the bank, I'd think you'll have a winner. If the end result is in the same ballpark as a Lyc, I'd stick with my $3200 Turrentine built 13B.

Mike

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:56 PM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: PP Housings

Mike,
The original PowerSport RV-3 was piloted by Alan. All of the FWF systems were built by Everett and Steve. That airplane was a test bed for the "Superlite" engine, which used Mazda rotors and housings but was so modified that you couldn't recognize anything. The plane had the world record for time to climb for prop driven small displacement aircraft for some time. That plane was a screamer, both literally and figuratively. It had two straight pipes dumping at the stock cowl exit. It would wake the dead. They had to brace the cockpit floor to prevent trouble from the pulses loosening rivets. Need I say a good muffler is in the works too? OK I am going to check with Steve to see when we might be able to build some for the public. As to the side plates, you can build them from aluminum, but there is another solution that PS tried. They did a lightweight machined and welded steel end plate only about 1-2 pounds heaver than the aluminum plate and nitrideable just like the stocker. You would have to be running P-ports though as there was no provision for side ports in these housings. Once I have some quotes on the machining I'll give you some kind of price ideas. I'm modeling the system and producing drawings for proper produceability.
Bill
Bill,
So do you have an estimate on when these might be available and at what price?

On a somewhat related note, anyone have any experience with any aftermarket aluminum end/intermediate housings? I'd love to build an all aluminum P-Port engine. The first rotary airplane I ever saw was the original Powersport RV-3 that Alan Tolle built. That engine was all aluminum and the airplane was so nice and light it was a rocket ship. Sign me up!

Mike Wills

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:44 AM

In a message dated 2/14/2010 7:40:41 AM Pacific Standard Time, keltro@att.net writes:
George,
   Do you have any contact info for the ex "Powersport" type PP housings ??.............
--
Kelly Troyer
"Dyke Delta"_13B ROTARY Engine