From: Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: where's the missing power?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:44:24 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill/all,

 Thanks for the feedback. Most of your comments line up with my understanding/thoughts. I didnt go into installation details when I wrote this for a couple of reasons. One, I've said it before, and two, many of the details now are pretty vague because my exhaust and intake systems came together about 6 years ago. I'll recount what I recall:

1) The engine is a Bruce Turrentine built. Turbo housings and high compression NA rotors. No porting.

2) The exhaust is a true 2 - 1 header with equal length primaries. I'm a little sketchy on dimensions but my recall is 1 3/4" primaries, 32" long and equal length into a Burns merge collector  2 1/2". Muffler is 4" behind the collector, 2 1/2" inlet and outlet, 28" long, 4 1/2" diameter. It's a spiral flow design, homebuilt, with a relatively large straight tube through the middle. I dont believe it presents any significant restriction. Internals are Inconel and it was in good shape when I had it off the airplane a couple of weeks ago.

3) The intake starts with a modified 88 Mazda NA lower manifold with all the excess metal cut away and port matched to the turbo housings (blended with JB Weld). I used the first part of the upper manifold to make the 90 degree bend over the top of the engine and from there welded on aluminum tubes (1 1/4" primaries, 1 1/2" secondaries, about 10" long. Plenum at the end of the tubes is small. Hard to describe so I'll try to find a picture. The throttle body is as described previously - a hacked Mazda tb with only 2 of the 3 original inlets.

I guess what really shocked me is how much throttle was still remaining when I reached max power. I guess the real question is, is my prop load limiting power output, is there some dip in the power curve and my engine cant push the prop load "over the hump", or is it simply a matter of a restriction in the system somewhere that is limiting the airflow? As I said previously, I'm not too worried about it because the airplane performance is pretty good. But who doesnt want more, especially if you suspect its there and accessible with hopefully not too much effort?

Mike