From: Steve Thomas <glasair2@me.com>
Sender: Steve Thomas <glasair2@me.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Help for John Slade
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:21:33 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Jim,

A couple of questions for you:

1.  How is the vinyl ester holding up to the ethanol?  Do you have any ability to inspect the tank interior?
2.  Do you know the percentage of ethanol in the gas you are using?  Here in California it is currently 4.7%, scheduled to go up to 10% in the near future.
3.  Do you recall what formula of vinyl-ester you used?  411-350?  411-45?  Other?

There is still a great debate on how ethanol affects even vinyl ester.  I would really appreciate knowing more about your experience.  The Ashland Derakane Chemical Resistance Guide says that the 411 series of vinyl esters are safe up to 10% ethanol.

Best Regards,

Steve Thomas

On Sep 4, 2009, at 6:17 AM, James Maher wrote:

I've since switched to a vinyl ester tank.

Jim
Dyke Delta N11XD