From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: K&W Stream Duct Explanation
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 23:27:19 -0400
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Not familiar with the Chisel or tapered description, George.  I may know it as a “wedge” type?    If the Wedge type, all I can tell you is I did quite a bit of searching trying to find some technical data on it.  The only thing I found was wedge shapes used in supersonic diffusers to slow air down through use of shock waves (created by supersonic airflow) for inlet to jet engines.   I never found anything on it regarding sub-sonic flow or for heat exchangers.  Anything that will slow air down, increase the pressure before the core and not cause a lot of eddies and turbulence will probably cool.  But, can’t really comment on how effective they may be compared to say the “StreamLine duct”.

Yes, the streamline duct is generally a bit too long for the size cores we use and our cowl lengths – if you implement a full streamline duct.  That is why I have a small section in my paper  on why a truncated streamline duct might still offer some decent pressure recovery.  Since the streamline duct bell shape is not (or should not be) larger than your core that end should not pose a problem, unless, of course,  you have your radiator canted/inclined and even then K&W addresses that as well, although my paper does not.

Ed