From: Bob White <bob@bob-white.com>
Subject: Speed of Sound was Re: [FlyRotary] Re: INJECTION OIL IN FUEL
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:19:32 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Bernie,

I found a web site with a speed of sound calculator.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html

It seems mostly dependent on temperature with no density effect for a
particular gas.  Wikipedia seems to agree.

The calculator gives 768 mph at 66F.  40F is 748 mph.  90F is 786
mph.  It seems you are really on the edge, and apt to go super sonic
at the prop tips under some conditions.  Cooler air will give you more
power so more rpms also.  Dry air is specified, so humidity will
undoubtedly change the numbers somewhat.  Haven't found any
calculations for 'wet' air.

Bob W.

--
N93BD - Rotary Powered BD-4 - http://www.bob-white.com