From: sboese <sboese@uwyo.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Muffler
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:34:53 -0600
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

William,

Thanks for the link.  I suspect I’ve seen most of that information at one time or another, but it’s nice to see it all in one place.

I don’t think I’ve been running excessively rich.  In cruise, I set the mixture to get about 60 degrees lean of peak EGT.  This results in some decrease in power and the O2 sensors are both off-scale lean.  For Take off and climb and also in preparation for landing I set the mixture for maximum power which is rich of peak but the engine is not operated under these conditions for long.  Even idling, I find that running lean with about 2-3 bars showing on the O2 meter seems to give the smoothest operation.

It’s possible that I am running the engine too conservatively and thus not hot enough to clean the plugs.  Maybe I should simply use max power mixture settings and WOT exclusively for awhile and see what that does.  Well, maybe not exclusively since that would make for some interesting taxiing.  The 103 gallons of fuel used in 15 hours gives an average of 7 gal/hr fuel consumption rate.  Most of this time was in XC cruise.  Only one 0.9 hr local flight was made during this period.

I agree that continuous combustion is not a reasonable theory.  Ed’s idea of retarded ignition timing seems more probable whatever the mechanism for that might be.

Steve Boese