From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: SAG was: [FlyRotary] Re: Muffler
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 07:10:07 -0400
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

There are undoubtedly numerous possibilities as to what is happening/causing SAG.  However, two things are very clear:

  1. 100 LL does definitely reduce the time spark plugs can be used before SAG occurs.  The nominal time period that I have found in my engine is 24-30 hours.  You can take the plug out and examine the ceramic  cone and see the glint of what I believe (but have not done a chemical analysis) of lead crystals.  Folks using MOGAS (such as Tracy) have reported going over 150 hours without SAG.  So I do believe there is a connection between 100LL and the short interval of use before SAG.

I even attempted to use TCP which is used in some aircraft engines and is reportedly suppose to reduce lead deposits.  It simply make the problem worst, but upon further research I discovered that for this chemical to work the cylinder head temperature has to be much higher than what our water cooled sparkplugs typically see.  In my case, the chemical caused further deposits (of some sort)  on the sparkplug and I barely got 5 hours out of the set I used.  This may in part explain why our sparkplugs seem to foul more with 100LL than aircraft sparkplugs – they don’t get hot enough?

  1. If you encounter SAG, then replacing the sparkplugs immediately eliminates the SAG problem (for a period of time).

So both of those factors lead me to believe it is fouling of spark plugs rather than pre-ignition.  If pre-ignition then my dozens of times of SAG (like every 15 minutes on the 5 hour trip from Louisiana) would surely have resulted in damage to the engine.

In any case, whatever the cause, since I have been replacing my sparkplugs regularly at 25-30 hour intervals I have encountered no SAG.  YMMV

Ed