From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] 13B--- N/A vs. Turbo engine buildup?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:14:24 -0400
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Paul, in the past, turboed engines often had low compression pistons to alleviate detonation problems.  These ratios were commonly in the 8:1 and sometimes lower.  When turbos were removed/disable from these low compression engines, they were indeed “dogs”.  However, the rotor’s compression ratio (at least on the later model 13Bs) have always been around 9:1  or above and as Tracy pointed out the N/A engines were only a few point more.

I have been flying with a turbo block (sans turbo)  for a number of years.  I pick the turbo block because it did not have the exhaust splitters as in the N/A block which some believe knocks some power off (I know of no factual evidence to support this).  I did however, replace the 9:1 turbo rotors with 9.7:1 “high compression” N/A rotors.

My perceptions is that this engine has more power – but, that is probably more because of improvements to the induction system that block choose or compression ratios.

 A downside of using a turbo block without the turbo is the exhaust.  According to Mazda test, the splitters in the N/A engine knocks 8db from the exhaust.  I know for a fact, that without muffler the turbo block pegs a sound meter at 125 db.  Also the pulse is so strong it can destroy stainless steel by fatiguing it past its failure point.  I squeeze the ends of my exhaust tubes and drilled holes in them early on to try and team this Noise Monster and found that after a 15 minute flight the shock wave of the exhaust had fatigued them to the point that chunks the size of my thumb nail were cracked off and gone.

I found the turbo block easier to street port than the N/A 13B because it didn’t have the aux port in the block, but that’s about it.

Ed Anderson

Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Matthews, NC

eanderson@carolina.rr.com