From: Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Timing Pick- up
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:01:47 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
George Lendich wrote:
Ernest,
The Suzuki AC Generator is 400 W @ 5,000rpm, the ( no-load) voltage is 70 V (AC) @ 5,000 rpm regulated to 14-15.5 V @ 5,000 rpm.
I thought Amps was Watts/Volts ( 400/ 70 = 5.71) but that doesn't appear to be case here, what should I be dividing the 400 by?
I figure it must be about 30 amps as that's the main fuse
That's a no-load voltage.  The thing can't push but so many electrons, so when you put a load on it the voltage will start dropping.  Think of the regulator as the dam at the head of a lake.  It can be tall and skinny (high voltage, low amps), or it can be short and wide (low voltage, high amps).  It can be tall and wide, IF there is a big enough lake behind it.  As you pull the water out of the lake faster, the level drops.

The 400W would be divided by 14V.  400W/14V = 28.5A

--

http://www.ronpaultimeline.com