From: M Roberts <montyr2157@alltel.net>
Subject: Drawing Programs
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:54:44 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Here is an example of what you can do with Alibre. This is a receiver housing that goes on off road equipment that I did for a client. It has a circuit board with surface mount LEDs and a clear light pipe that shines up through decals. The whole thing is sealed, liquid tight, gasketed and vibration mounted.

All the parts are modeled together as solids, so you can see how they fit together before you build them. Then you email files to get a rapid prototype and put the whole thing together and test it in the field. If it works you email a tool maker and 6 weeks and a much lighter wallet later you get an injection molded part.

Ever wanted a custom throttle handle or maybe a custom intake or something like that?? Don't have a machine shop and want to have a plastic intake made? Use the Polyphenylsulfone material that redeye has...it's good to 200C. Need parts for your model airplane?

It's only going to get better and cheaper. Eventually you will be able to grow graphite reinforced parts this way. It's already in the works.

Lot's of cool stuff can be done. But not with sketchup or worse yet AutoCAD.

The world talks in 3D now. Whenever somebody asks me for a drawing, I feel like asking them if they would like a papyrus scroll or perhaps a cave painting.

You will not regret the small amount of extra effort expended learning 3D modeling.

Monty