From: M Roberts <montyr2157@alltel.net>
Subject: Drawing Programs
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:20:44 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Try this one:

Price.....FREE!!

Fully functional flagship program for a month. After that reduced functionality, but still really good for hobby work.

A true solid modeling program. I have been using it for 3 years or so professionally. It has 95% of the functionality of much more expensive packages. Which I have also used professionally. It just keeps getting better. You can spend from $0 to $3K on this package depending on what you need it to do. I have the full blown do everything package and will probably get the CAM package as well. I'm not selling it and I don't get a royalty from it. It is just a damn good product that gets better every year, and the people running the company have the right attitude.

Goggle sketchup is OK.....just not a real 3D package.

It may take you a while to get used to Alibre, but I promise it will be worth the effort. If you are going to invest time in anything it should be something that will allow you to move forward and grow in your ability. Learning some of these other 2D packages is like learning how to use punch cards....its easy.....but....why bother. If you model in solids, you can get a part weight and all the physical constants like moment of inertia, and volume. Pretty handy to have.

The power of these tools is in how it will eventually allow all of us to leverage each others skill. Also how it will allow us to have parts manufactured in small runs to exacting standards. There was an article in the last kitplanes featuring this package and a laser cut panel.

To that add CNC routers and rapid manufacturing: http://www.redeyerpm.com/

spend some time looking at what you can have done after you model your parts for very reasonable prices.

FREE CAD!!!!! 3D solids. not crummy old dumb AutoCAD that you can't do anything with after you draw it. In Alibre the drawing is based on the part....change the part and the drawing updates. No redrawing required.

Monty