From: George Lendich <lendich@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Carbs
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:12:27 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed,
I have another one for you!
I am currently copying some of the parts of different carbs to cobble together my own design. I found info that the slide carbs with the flat ground needle - have a needle size of 1/8" ( 3.175mm) and are ground to what appears to be 'half' their original size at WOT. My needle stock is 3.18mm, with sliding tolerance, the needle seat/ jet is 3.23mm

That is the sized used for a 38mm carb and I was wondering if the 44mm carb might need a bigger needle, but I don't know how to calculate the main jet size/ fuel flow.

I have 13.1936 lbm (min of air) and 1.043lbm (min of fuel) at 12.65:1 fuel ratio, at 7,500 rpm (WOT).

Can you show me how to work out the main jet size please, I just need to know if I'm in the ballpark or need to go up in needle size, if the depth of the grind exceeds 'half' the needle size at WOT.

George (down under)