From: Jerry Hey <jerryhey@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: carbs vs efi
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:45:58 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
George,  I just got back from Oshkosh which would have been a wasted trip except that I got to fly a CH 701 amphib off the water.  This was a first for  yours truly.    What a lot of fun.  The airplane handles perfectly and is the right one for me.    It is limited by the designer to 100 hp and 200 lbs for the engine installation. So I am in the in enviable situation of not wanting to get too much out of my p port. The plane was powered by a 100 hp Rotax.   It did very well.

Re your analysis comparing side ports with p ports, I wonder if such an analysis is even possible as they are quite different.  Anyway, I doubt that a standard port can deliver 100 hp or a street port 130 hp. per rotor, certainly not when limited to 7500 rpm.  Of course I am only guessing.  No real knowledge or experience.

The only carb I saw at Oshkosh was the aero carb.  It is sized by HP and they recommend the 38mm for  125 to 160 hp.  This is too large for my purposes.  I am considering going down to 35mm  (90 to 125 hp)    The problem is that I already have 38mm p ports.  Also, of interest is that they do not recommend ram air. That simplifies the plumbing and the cowl.    The demo engine had rather long, small dia runners and an air filter attached to the carb.  That is the "system." ((on an 80 hp v.w.))   If I can get the drive figured out,  I will build it with RB's aluminum side plates and Atkins eccentric.  BTW the 701 is a high wing.  The system will be strictly gravity.       Jerry

On Jul 21, 2007, at 10:14 PM, George Lendich wrote:

Jerry,
I'm trying to compare the carb inlet area to port or P-port areas.
Standard Port area 32 deg ATDC to 50 degree ABDC = 1.18 sq " each side (x2 = 2.36sq")- using the front and back housings only.

A street port will be 1.5sq" x 2 = 3sq"
.
A 44mm P-port = 2.35sq"
A 42mm p-port = 2.14sq"
A 40mm P-port = 1.94sq"
A 38mm P-port = 1.75sq"
So you see a side port on a single has more port area than a small P-port.
Perhaps the velocity will make up for less area.
The street port is bigger again at 3 sq" - this equates to 50mm port.

The standard port gives about 100 hp, the street port about 130hp each rotor.
I wouldn't want to choke down the port areas with too  restrictive inlet carby area. I can't see how a 38mm will cut the mustard when your own calculations suggest 1.6 P-port = 42mm sq".

In reality I'm only looking for 130HPat most, if I can get that.

I can run a 41mm ID SS tube p-port with a 42mm Carby ( and hope velocity makes up the difference) Or I can run with two 1.5 street ported side ports 3 sq" with two smaller carbs, perhaps 2x32mm.

BTW street ported 13B has been dynoed to 264hp can't remember the RPM - it might have been higher than what we run.
More confused than ever!

Does anyone know the IO/IC and size and HP of the factory P-port.

Lynn, does the timing given, calculated by the rotor uncovering and covering the port, or the side seal uncovering/covering the port opening?
I was thinking the RX8 rotor will be slightly different (bigger) with the harased edges.
George ( down under)