From: Jerry Hey <jerryhey@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: carbs vs efi
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:17:53 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
George,  maybe I have the wrong idea, but I don't understand why you need such a large bore carb for the single rotor.  No way you are going to produce more than 150 hp.  I think 38mm would be enough.  This is what Aero Carb recommends for the 0-320.  Jerry

On Jul 21, 2007, at 5:56 PM, George Lendich wrote:

Jerry,
Looks like Pat was wrong about Revmaster having a 44mm, the biggest they go to is 42mm ( at the present time) and that costs $380. If I remember the 32mm costs $320.
Jerry I would be interested in feed back on what you thought about the Aero Carb, especially how it's constructed - their all a little different.
I do like the Ellison but it's too bloody expensive.
George ( down under)
George,  the web site says $326.00.  You might want to compare the aero carb which is similar.  http://www.aeroconversions.com
I will be looking at both at Oshkosh on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.  Jerry

Jerry

On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:06 PM, George Lendich wrote:

I have been surprised at the recent flurry of carb postings.  I assumed that everyone was doing EFI.  having experienced total electrical failure in march on a trip to the Bahamas I was thinking a lot about that Neanderthal carb bolted under my O320 and the magnetos, all unaware of what was going on in the radio, GPS, and nav lights departments.    the reality is that you don't want a reserve battery to get you to the ground safely, you want to get to the Bahamas and back and THEN look into what's wrong.
my questions are "how much power/performance is lost with a carb, and which carbs can do manual mixture?".  is it stupid to ask if the Lycoming carb could run a 13B?  someone mentioned Harley carbs having a good history of rough service.  what about marvel/schebler?  is this question heresy? :-)  isn't efi a bit of overkill for an engine that basically runs at 100% power, 75% power and idle?  scanning thru the archives I see a lot of postings regarding mixture, mapping, abrupt failures and such.  does this complexity buy us 5%, 20%?  the question of turbo-charging seems to beg similar line of questioning.    kevin

Kevin,
It's probably my fault, with a number of chaps helping me out with information.
My Buddy Bill Jepson will tell you nothing beats EFI and when it's running well, he's absolutely right!
Not only that it is the best for  fuel efficiency, leaning reading fuel flow etc. etc.
However I'm developing a single rotor and looking at all sorts of issues including cost effectiveness of less elaborate installations. I'm also not keen on high pressure
fuel under the cowl.
Most importantly I'm not an electronics person and seeing the problems experienced by others has me more than a little nervous, in regard to EFI.
Of course I know very little about carbies, so their helping me with this as well.
The Revmaster might be the choice for me, but I'm awaiting the sticker shock!
George ( down under)