From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Fire was [FlyRotary] Re: Method of killing power??
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:50:00 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Mark, I can certainly understand your viewpoint - I have had experience with fire myself and it do make you a believer {:>).  Safety is a vital factor in our hobby.

That is why I always shut down the injectors first with their power (disable) switch.  That immediately cuts fuel flow to the combustion chamber - even if you do have a leaky injector, it certainly shuts all down but the leaky one.  Then of course, I also cut my fuel pumps - wouldn't do to leave them running on the battery for long {:>).   However, from my experience  nothing stops the engine faster than turning off the injectors.  Its not 1 sec or 2 sec or 4 sec, it stops before the prop turns another revolution.

But, clearly, the vast majority (well, maybe with the exception of Rusty and who can tell about him {:>)) prefer to turn off their fuel pumps first. The engine will  (with a couple seconds) die of fuel starvation and stop.  But, it will take a second or two. That will of course, drain most of the fuel out of the fuel lines - but not all.  I don't know if there should be any concern about small remaining amounts of fuel cooking and leaving gum or varnish, probably little problem if using 100LL but could possibly be more of one with mogas.

Mark, I presume from you comment about the fire, that it was caused by fuel dumping out the exhaust and igniting?  Certainly sounds like the engine got flooded somehow.  When my first EFI a HALTECH died, it did exactly that - all injectors went full open and fuel poured out the exhaust like a stream of water - fortunately it did not ignite.  Can be scary for sure.

Ed