From: Jim Sower <canarder@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] solo's & Delta T... no more emergencies
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:46:33 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Todd,
Congratulations on your triumph.  It's got to be a really tremendous feeling to vindicate all that time and work.  Good on ya'!!

I'm really encouraged about the d-T on your radiators.  Haven't been through your web site nearly as thoroughly as I should (and soon will) - what kind of plenum do you have for your radiators?  With that kind of d-T, it sounds like you must have an excellent plenum.  What kind of oil cooler do you have?  Stock Mazda?  What do you suppose would happen if you used another evaporator core for an oil cooler?  Seems thicker is better (and it might fit better under the cowl).
Loving all the good news ... Jim S.

Haywire wrote:

<snip>    What I found was somewhat surprising. I found that the coolant rads (2 Ford evap cores plumbed in parallel) had a delta T of 20C, while the Oil cooler only had a delta T of 5C. At first I felt this was OK as I remembered that the GM cores also gave 20 degrees delta T, then I as I was about to type this up I remembered that it was 20F. So this means that I am getting a delta T of 36F. This is extremely gratifying as I chose the Ford cores against popular wisdom because they fit much better than the GM cores (smaller, thicker)(Rusty - take note) and they gave a better coolant flow rate in my tests.    The oil cooler is a little disappointing to have only a Delta T of 5C or 9F. I'd expected much higher. Ed were you planning on measuring deltaT through the oil as well or just the coolant? I'd like to know what others are getting. I hope to get out again tomorrow afternoon and if the weather is better with higher ceilings, I'll do a longer climb followed by a longer run at cruise speed to allow temps to stabilize a little better. Tonight's circuits were admittedly not the ideal run for gathering data, but I thought some may be interested in my results. I'll try to gather more data in the days to come.     The EWP continues to function perfectly.S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B RV-9Endurance
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

   "Whatever you vividly imagine, Ardently desire, Sincerely believe in, Enthusiastically act upon, Must inevitably come to pass".

--
Jim Sower
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5