From: <13brv3@mchsi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Temp control with airflow
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:43:37 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Greetings all,

Well, Tracy has me thinking about the notion of running an EWP wide open, or
a stock water pump with no thermostat, and controlling the temps via airflow
to the radiator.  That could potentially eliminate a failure mode for either
system.  In my case, I was already thinking about using electric fans as a
required item for cooling, so why not use them as temp control?

I've read over and over again, about people who have trouble getting proper
airflow through their radiator.  This usually leads to several revisions of
cooling ducts, radiator size placement, etc.  After reading all the right
things to do when designing radiator ducting, look at an FD (93-95 RX-7).
The radiator is leaning forward at a 60 degree angle to the airflow, which
just can't be optimal.  It is a thin radiator, which helps airflow, but the
real solution seems to be two, 3 speed electric fans.

For the RV-3, I plan to do away with the cowl cheeks, similar to what Mike
Wills did with his beautiful cowl.  Of course that eliminates the near
standard dual evap core that many use, and leaves me with a single radiator
mounted under the engine, with a chin scoop.  To have enough volume, this
single radiator will have to be thicker than most, and  be mounted at a
significant angle to the airflow.  My assumption is going to be that I'll
never have enough natural airflow to cool during takeoff and climb, but I
can probably make it work for at least an economy cruise.  To supply extra
airflow when needed, I'll use two electric fans.  It also seems to me that I
can use these fans to control the coolant temp.

That's my current wild idea.  Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Rusty
Turbo 13B powered RV-3... Be Afraid :-)
1993 RX-7 R1... Stock (for now)