From: George Graham <rx7ez@yahoo.com>
Subject: Worn rotor housings
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:01:40 -0800 (PST)
To: flyrotary <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
My .02 Joe,

   My first teardown and rebuild 13b had rotor housings with some of the steel plating missing along one edge. I took them around to every "expert" that I could find, they all agreed that they were fine to use.  I then went ahead and assembled the motor, with new seals, gaskets etc.
The motor ran great, like brand new I imagine.

But, When it was time to install the motor into my airplane, I just didn't feel good about those rotor housings, so I found another motor that I've been flying since 1998.  By peeking inside I knew that these housings were pristine. I still have the first motor, but I doubt that I will ever use it without another rebuild with new housings.

Bert Rutan said something to the effect of "Do your very best, even that will only be just barely good enough".

I know, that sitting on the end of the runway, I must feel confident that everything is as good as I can get it, in order to enjoy my flight. Others will differ perhaps.

George Graham
Sarasota Florida
Mazda RX7 EZ

Never miss an email again!