From: Bob White <rlwhite@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: wire routing
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 10:08:25 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
A little clarification here.  If you have a wire carrying a DC or low
freq AC signal, the aluminum will not shield the resulting magnetic
field.  You will get some benefit at higher frequencies because the
induced currents in the aluminum create a magnetic field that
counteracts the magnetic field produced by the wire.  Coupling is poor
at lower frequencies so it isn't as effective.

Using any kind of magnetic shielding around the compass can cause
problems because it will effect the magnetic field seen by the compass.

John's original questions concerned separating the fuel injector wiring
from the compass and EGT probe wiring.  Good idea in both cases.  The
compass is detecting a very low magnetic field of about 1 gauss so it
doesn't take much to affect it.  The EGT probes are low impedance
devices, which is good, but they generate millivolt level signals so are
also sensitive to induced errors.  Better to keep the high current
EFI pulses as far away as possible.

Bob W.

--
N93BD - Rotary Powered BD-4 - http://www.bob-white.com
First Flight:  11/23/2006 7:50AM - 1.7 Hours Total Time