From: <Lehanover@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: wire routing
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 01:09:03 EST
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 2/3/2007 11:56:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jwvoto@itlnet.net writes:
Am I wrong, I believe that aluminum will not shield magnetic flux, giving only electrostatic shielding; only steel will shield magnetic flux.

Wendell
Notice that your IF cans have aluminum all around?  Never seen an IF can?

In the olden days radios had big vacuum tubes, and open core capacitors to adjust tank circuits and control frequencies. The Inter-frequency  transformers had to be shielded to control phasing and awful noise in the output. Thus the aluminum can shielding. Good for wave guides as well.

Ferris metals concentrate flux fields (conduct flux lines well) and are used in the cores of transformers and solenoids.

Lynn E. Hanover