From: Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Cleaning spark plugs
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:19:34 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed Anderson wrote:

In flight, the only thing that seems to work, is to reduce power.  This reduces pressures in the combustion chamber making it easier for the spark to jump the gap rather than follow a carbon/lead track on the ceramic. After a few minutes of reduced power, you can frequently run it back at higher power settings (for a while).  So running at reduce power settings apparently "blows" some of the stuff off the ceramic.

We were discussing ways of  cleaning the plugs a while back, but just recently Lynn related to us how to clean out the combustion chamber using a cup of water.  I wouldn't want to stand next to a prop, pouring water in the carbeurator of a nearly choking engine, but would it be a worthwhile experiment to hook a miniature garden sprayer to the intake?  Would it be likely to clean out a SAGged plug?

--
        ,|"|"|,              Ernest Christley       |
----===<{{(oQo)}}>===----    Dyke Delta Builder      |