From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary]Re: Epoxy paint
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:41:31 -0400
To: <flyrotary>

Posted for Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>:
13brv3@mchsi.com wrote:

So far,
every can of "appliance paint" that I've seen is epoxy. Unfortunately, they
recommend using a primer first when painting bare metal, so I just hit it
with a quick coat of NAPA 7220 self etching primer, which is also in a spray

Self etching primer?  You would be working with aluminum then?  I'm just priming 4130.  I don't think I want to etch that (at least I've not heard of it being recommended).  The appliance paint sounds like a good source.  I do plan on following the recommendation of using white primer and paint on structural tubing.  Fill the steel tube with line oil, then any cracks or scrapes become evident very quickly and black and rust colored marks.

Is it necessary to do anything other than prime areas that are embedded and will never see UV radiation?  It is my understanding that topcoats purposed is to absorb UV while the primer is for adhesion and protection.