From: Perry Mick <pjmick@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] ducted fans
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 06:07:33 -0700
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
One definition of the difference between "shrouded propellor" and "ducted fan", is the ducted fan has a duct longer than the fan diameter. My shroud was only 24" long while the fan was 38" in diameter. For your gyro application, I would think it would still be a shrouded propellor, as I doubt you have room for a long duct.

Hi Perry,

Good to hear from you.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions if I get to the point of trying this, but for now I'm mostly curious about the weight comparison between fan and prop.  When you changed from fan to PSRU/prop, did the plane end up heavier?

The stock single rotor configuration is already plagued by excess weight, so one of my hopes was that this would reduce it some.  At least the fan unit would be a bit smaller than what you were using, so a bit lighter too.  You are also correct that I wouldn't have room for for a long enough duct to be a "ducted fan".

Thanks,
Rusty (must forget this long enough to finish the RV-8)

The PSRU/prop installation came out lighter than the ducted fan, but it wouldn't have to be so. I was lugging around the stock heavy manual transmission flywheel and my duct was overbuilt and too heavy.

Perry