From: Bob Darrah <RDarrah@austin.rr.com>
Subject: It runs!
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:51:02 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Finally started my 20b on the test stand.  It runs, but not very good. Using Tracy's ECU and monitor, and a long (about 10 foot) umbilical cord from the firewall, it will idle about 900 rpm, starts right up, but can hardly get 6000 RPM without prop.  The timing strobe shows about 35 degrees BTDC.  Seems to smoke a lot.

Possible causes:
    Too much oil in gas-just dumped in a couple gulups of oil in an estamated 2 gallons of gas.
    Embilical cord too long.
    Intake manafold-homemade log type about 4 inch dia, with short (5in) runners, tapering top to botom from log diameter to intake port size, but constant width, the same as the ports.  They match the ports well.  I am in a good position to put the original intake back on to see if that will help, (last resort).
    Exhaust pipe attaches to where the turbo will go and is a used auto exhaust system, about 18 feet long including muffler.
    Something else, anyone got any good ideas?

I would like to get it to run better before I hang it in my Seawind. Hanging it in that airplane is no easy task.

Bob Darrah